The MC58113 Series Motion Control ICs are the latest members of PMD’s third-generation Magellan-family and provide high-performance chip-based motion control for medical, scientific, automation, and robotic applications. Available in single IC, single axis versions, the MC58113 Series ICs are programmable devices which provide positioning, velocity, and torque control for DC brush, brushless DC and stepper motors.
The MC58113 Series ICs are driven by a host device using either an SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface), CANBus 2.0B, or RS232/485 serial interface. User selectable profiling modes include S-curve or trapezoidal velocity contouring and electronic gearing. Depending on the type of motor controlled, the MC58113 ICs provide servo-loop closure, commutation, and pulse & direction output. They also provide advanced digital current control for smooth and ultra quiet operation, along with amplifier management features such as overcurrent, under/overvoltage, and overtemperature sensing.
All of PMD’s Magellan Motion Control ICs provide a flexible and powerful instruction set to initialise and control motion axes, monitor performance, and synchronise the overall machine behaviour. Working with Magellan ICs, PMD’s powerful Pro-Motion® GUI makes it easy to graph and analyse system performance; while C-Motion® allows you to develop your own application using C/C++.
There are four MC58113 Series ICs, each packaged in a single 100-pin TQFP operating at 3.3 V. The MC51113 provides dedicated control of DC-Brush motors, the MC53113 provides control of three-phase Brushless DC motors, the MC54113 provides control of two-phase step motors, and the MC58113 can be software selected to provide control of any of these motor types.
- Single axis, single IC members of PMD’s Magellan Motion IC family
- Position, velocity, and torque control
- DC brush, brushless DC, and stepper motor control
- S-curve or trapezoidal velocity contouring, and electronic gearing profiles
- SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface), serial RS232/485, and CANbus communications
- 1.5 axes (primary and auxiliary axis) control
- Advanced position PID filter with velocity and acceleration feedforward
- High performance current control of each motor phase
- High/Low switching amplifier control with programmable deadtime and charge pump refresh
- Velocity, position and acceleration changes on-the-fly
- Programmable loop time to 50 uSec
- FOC (field oriented control)
- Incremental encoder quadrature input (up to 25 Mcounts/sec)
- Synch pin feature allows multiple axes to be synchronised
- Internal motion trace buffer for performance optimisation
- Overcurrent, over/undervoltage and overtemperature detect
- Directional limit switch, index, and home inputs
- Axis settled indicator, tracking window and automatic motion error detection
- Supports PMD’s Atlas Digital Amplifiers
- General-purpose analogue input
- Programmable dual biquad filters
- Programmable acceleration and deceleration values
- Compact 100 pin TQFP package
MC58113 Electrical Specifications
MC58113 IC Datasheet